Re: [RC] Reducing risk - Truman Prevatt

Why - this is the US not Western Europe. No matter how may waivers we sign - we still do not give up our fundamental rights. It is our horse - we make the decisions. I am sure every vet knows that and respects that - probably because if they don't they are way out on a limb with someone sawing off the limb behind them. Different culture.

Some years back the "company" had all sorts of clubs for its employees. One was the Ski Club - which I happened to be president of at the time. Because of some changes in Maryland Law we were told that we needed to incorporate and the company would donate money to us. I went through the long process of the incorporation. Of course we hired a lawyer to do that. His recommendation was - of course have people sign wavers before they go on your ski trips. However, the waver was "coerced" - you don't sign it you don't go so it would be the first thing thrown out by a judge in a law suit.

Same thing with signing wavers for the ride vets to "manage them." I am sure not every law is the same as Maryland's - however, I suspect they are all close. I just don't believe that concept would work in this country. And quite frankly I don't believe it should.

Sure the AERC could do all sorts of things after the fact - after the fact that the horse died. That's sure not what we want.

Truman

D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson wrote:
Now, this makes absolute sense! Thank you, Leonard of Belgium, for this information. Now I know we, in the US, are not set up to perform this type of coverage and treatment of our horses. I can't help but feel this is a direction that would clearly resolve a lot of issues on so many levels. Most assurdedly it would ward off PETA to some degree (because there is no accounting for their irradic behavior anyway)! Seriously, why would this be difficult to institute in the US on the 100 mile triple crown rides? It would make so much sense. The additional fees would be more than worth the peace of mind! I have to wonder, of the horses that are pulled, and recommendations made, how many owners/riders, whom do not follow the recommendations, take their horses home too soon, only to encounter a high risk health factor. Again, thank you Leonard, for this insight. I'd like to know of all the vet riders out there how they do or do not foresee this working in the US.
*D'Arcy L. Demianoff-Thompson
/liberty4640@xxxxxxxxx/ <mailto:liberty4640@xxxxxxxxx>
*

By the way, do you know that at FEI level, the horses are during and after the ride under the responsiility of the Treatment vets. They must check regularly the horse and especially the one that were eliminated for serious metabolic issue during the night after the competition. And the morning after, horses are again controled by the vets who allow or not the rider to drive them back home.

In the same domain, when you get pulled, the vet may force you to head to the hospital (or the treatment vet) if he determined that the horse needs serious treatment.

--

“Since when have we Americans been expected to bow submissively to authority and speak with awe and reverence to those who represent us?” Justice William O. Douglas