Re: [RC] [RC] Ridecamp post - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

If anyone has a "Release of Liability" from any Equine Insurance Company you will know and understand the impact of owning, riding, and/or participating in anything to do with a live 800 - 1500 pound lethal weapon has!  With that said I am going to say, once again, as I believe Bruce Weary referenced, don't forget about all of us beginner endurance people out here.  There is so much to learn, so much to observe, and so much to participate in.  Often there is sensory overload!

I will tell you what someone told me over 40 years ago.  "You can put a horse in a padded cell and it can still find a way to kill itself!"  Does that mean we don't take precautions - No!  Does it mean we disregard good sound basic training (as Bruce referenced) - NO!  Does it mean we read, study, and read some more - YES!

I have been observing, reading, studying, picking everyone's brain that I can and whom will let me for a year now.  You know what I don't feel any closer to having a part of a grasp on the realities of endurance.  What I do know...I am starting with a 25 miler and I'll work up from there at my horses pace and standard that she sets for herself!  Why?  Because I want to be riding her for the next 25 years (she is now 10).

Just my two cents worth today!  And Bruce - as a former active duty AF person....loved the military commentary!  :)   Evelyn, you bet I'll be praying every step of the way.  Frank, please don't stop with your wonderful common sense approach to a difficult sport.  Truman, I think it should go without saying but I'll say it anyway...thank you for your incredible ground basing philosophy in this sport.  It gets me through more than one day at a time.

D'Arcy L. Demianoff-Thompson