Re: [RC] Reducing Risk - Truman Prevatt

There are a lot of ways to to address the issue of risk. Some want much more management by the AERC, i.e., logbooks and punitive measures if a horse gets into trouble. Some don't think that the impact of this on the sport would be too great.

Clearly Bruce is right that a horse not on the top of his game should not be asked to perform as if he were. However, I think that a horse that has missed a few work outs and is not peaked can handle an LD or slow 50 - it is the responsibility of the rider to know when to do what.

I think every one has a responsibility in reducing risk. Clearly it is the riders responsibility to monitor his horse and make the right decisions. The RM has the responsibility to provide a safe venue for the event to take place. It is the AERC's responsibility since they sanction the event to provide guidance and even sanctions on both riders and ride managers for not living up to their responsibilities.

I think there are a few things the AERC can do that will make a big difference.

Rider education: They are doing much better at this lately. We can't expect new riders - no matter how many books they read to have the necessary experience. We need to provide the material for them to gain from the experience of others. Our understanding on how the stresses impact our horses changes and we acquire additional knowledge. We may find out some of what the thought yesterday turns out to be wrong when we learn more. Therefore, there needs to be a continuing education component to rider education.

Ride manager education: Just like anyone can show up at a ride - anyone can run a ride. Hopefully someone new who runs a ride will have some experience - but it is not necessary. Several years ago a new ride was started in Florida by a person that just joined the AERC so she could run the ride. She had never done an endurance ride prior. The ride offered a 25/50/100. My wife and I went but ended up not riding since the RM had no idea how to organize a ride and we pitched in helped her. We - the AERC - needs the same commitment to rider manager education as it does rider education.

No matter what we do or how good we are - from time to time a horse will get into trouble. In medicine - the faster the response the better the odds for full recovery. Could not some of the ruptured stomachs we have seen have been prevented if emergency treatment had been started on the ride site? I suspect so. Many years ago SERA started requiring at least two vets at a ride - one that could treat. I have seen many instances when rapid intervention to stabilize, i. e., draining the reflux, starting rehydration, etc. prior to shipping off site has probably meant the difference between a healthy happy horse going down the trail again and one 6 feet under.

I would like to see the AERC undertake an effort to come up with a series of recommendations for ride managers so they will be able to manage the issues associated with equine emergency medical issues that can arise at an endurance ride. Many moons ago at a ride I ran I had a local vet as treatment vet. She was an equine vet and a good one. She was my personal vet. She asked - what supplies should I have on hand? Fair question - right. I called the head of the AERC vet committee and asked if they had a list of emergency supplies and recommended quantities that a treatment vet for an endurance ride with approximately 100 horses should have on hand. The didn't and no one seemed to want to give a suggestion.

We made a guess. The University of FL vet school being close and the head vet being on the UF staff saved my bacon (and maybe a few horses ) since we ended up going through a lot more fluids than we had budged.

I also think the AERC should develop a policy - regarding RM responsibility and emergency medical treatment for horses. When is a nearby clinic sufficient. When is a vet on call sufficient. When should a treatment vet be on site, etc.

There is two sides to the equation. One is keeping the horse out of trouble. The second is mitigation the risk to a horse that does get into trouble. Any horse at any ride can get into trouble. In might not matter to you today - but I will tell you it will matter if it is your horse.

Truman

Bruce Weary wrote:
I'm going to suggest a little game. Let's show what we know to ourselves, and more importantly, to any newbie lurkers (or veterans, for that matter) about measures we take to reduce risk to our horses in an endurance ride. This may end up being a fundamental review, but there may be that one tidbit that someone offers that helps someone else--or their horse. You can list as many strategies as you like.

--

“Since when have we Americans been expected to bow submissively to authority and speak with awe and reverence to those who represent us?” Justice William O. Douglas