[RC] Reducing Risk - Bruce Weary

I'm going to suggest a little game. Let's show what we know to ourselves, and more importantly, to any newbie lurkers (or veterans, for that matter) about measures we take to reduce risk to our horses in an endurance ride. This may end up being a fundamental review, but there may be that one tidbit that someone offers that helps someone else--or their horse. You can list as many strategies as you like.
I'll start. I think the most important thing I can do to reduce risk in my endurance horse is to bring him to the ride in the best possible condition I can muster, and then ride him within that conditioning. I keep a calendar of workouts, and when life gets busy, I am amazed at how many days can go by before I get back in the saddle to train. Those lost days are easily forgotten, but hard on the horse, in that they deprive him of the strength and stamina he needs to cover a 50 or 100 mile ride. He probably got fewer groceries, too. I liken it to the disadvantage a prize fighter has if he doesn't train hard or often enough. He isn't trying to stagger through 15 rounds, he needs to stay strong throughout, so he doesn't get hurt. Same with the horse. Fatigue leads to tripping, leg injuries, metabolic disorders, thumping, mental duress, sour mind, and a host of other problems. I want more than enough horse to finish the ride, and that only comes from a firm conditioning program, punctuated with plenty of rest. A more than fit horse can deal with the trailer ride, getting lost on the trail, adverse weather changes, missing feed/supplies at a vet check, water shortages, standing tied to a trailer for two or three days, dehydration, etc., better than a less fit horse.
I guess it's like getting a soldier ready for war. Disciplined exercise, good feed and trusted equipment, and a night out with the boys every now and then. When I look in my mare's eyes and I see that "Sir, yes sir!" look, I know she's ready. FWIW, Dr Q