Re: [RC] [RC] Ridecamp post - Barbara McCrary

Truer words are seldom spoken, especially the part about horses being magnets for trouble.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 7:07 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] Ridecamp post

I have said for years to anyone starting this sport, that they need to understand that their horse is being put at risk at any given time.  When I say put at risk, I mean they can die.  Every time you enter that horse into an event it can happen.  People need to understand that.   We love our horses, and we do all that is within our ability to keep them safe.  And true, they can get struck by lightning, get cut and bleed to death, whatever and never leave the farm.  Horses are magnets for trouble.  So, to say that one distance is harder, or more dangerous over another I feel is not seeing the whole picture.  Horses die in endurance at all levels.  It is a risky hobby/sport to become involved in, and you just have to prepare the best that you can in all aspects.  And then you have to try to be careful, watchful, learn your horse the best you can, and pray that they will be ok at the end of the day.

Jody