Re: [RC] [RC] Problems with Garmin Forerunner 305 - April

Hi, Crysta,

First off, I have to ask you what your firmware and GPS chipset versions are. You can find this information in Settings > General > About. You should see software version 2.6 and GPS  chipset version 2.9. If you don't, go to Garmin's web site and update. (http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00467-00) The chipset update is very important for good satellite reception.

While you're at it, make sure and update your Training Center version to 3.2.3.

You should make sure the unit has a good satellite lock prior to starting out. I set mine on the hood of my truck while I saddle up. This give it a good stable place in the open and if you forget it, it's handy to just ride past and grab it. ;-)

If the unit loses satellite reception, when it picks back up, it will add distance in a straight line from where it lost to where it received.

Make sure you don't have AutoPause on. Just turn that to off. I always want to know overall total average, not just moving time. The clock doesn't stop in competition just because I pause for water or a grass stop, so I don't really want my training to reflect differently. You can find the AutoPause setting in Settings > Training. I forget the exact path at the moment, but it's in there. If you must use it, set it to less than 1 mph or something low, but not stopped.

My HRM works if I make sure of two things. First, plenty of lubricant. This is especially important with the hairy horse. I use electrode gel and rub it into the hair to reach the skin and make sure there's gel all the way out to the electrode.

The second is that the electrodes have a firm connection with the skin. I use a neoprene girth and have a felt pad that I use to raise the electrode away from the girth so I don't have to have my girth in a death grip just to get connectivity.

Make sure your under-the-saddle electrode is positioned properly. Too far forward and it might fall into the pocket behind the shoulder. Too far toward the spine and there is no pressure from the bars to keep the electrode connected. Also, don't forget gel here, too. Especially with a hairy horse.

In the summer, I use little to no gel. I just use water (or spit on the electrode) to get it started and sweat takes over from there.

I haven't had any issues with the Garmin/adapter that I didn't have with a regular HRM. My first HRM I had a hard time getting everything to work right, but when I graduated to the Garmin/adapter unit, I knew a lot of the tricks to get it to work already.

There is no +100 or anything like that. I've spiked my horse's hr up to 205 running flat out up a short, steep hill.

Just curious, what unit was your friend using?

Feel free to email me privately anytime.

April
Nashville, TN
http://www.tracetribute.com
http://endurancerider.blogspot.com