[RC] re: Angie's insights - Cindy Collins

Boy, did this all hit home, Angie.? I have shared many times on ridecamp how much I HATE arenas, but that when I started taking regular dressage lessons about 6 years ago it made a huge difference in me and my endurance horses.? I had many people laugh at me and question why someone (at that time) with over 7,000 miles in endurance would waste their time and money taking training level dressage lessons.? I continue to get comments along those lines.? However, with the physical problems I've developed since then, I'm positive that I would not ride at all without the improvements I've made in my equitation.? Plus, the more I do it, the worse I know I really am and the harder I'm willing to work.? Way back when he was much less civilized than he is today :), Dave Nicholson often commented on the fact that endurance riders had the worst equitation and the worst "horse grooming/presentation" of any group of riders he'd ever seen anywhere.? That really hurt!? Yet, many of us knew that he was speaking the truth even if we refused to acknowledge it.? When we're thinking equitation we're not thinking about those horrid pleasure show seats, but the seats you see on event riders and upper level dressage competitiors.? Now, those people have their issues, too, so I'm not saying they are perfect.? However, I think that Dave's criticism still holds true.? And, as Angie said, just look at the riders in our sport who are consistently successful on multiple horses.? Most of them have some classical dressage training and it shows in their seat and hands and in their horse's level of control.

As for shoeing, I'm sure that's also true.? That is more problematic, though, since many of us in really rural areas struggle to find a farrier at all!? I would love more articles on shoeing for endurance.??

Thanks for sharing your personal goals.? I'll be cheering for you.? Grit your teeth and git 'er done.? Cindy

Cindy Collins