[RC] State of Affairs - Bruce Weary DC

  Jim--
 I wouldn't presume to counsel you on your riding. You may need to coach me on the peeing up a rope thing, however. Sounds like the voice of experience speaking.
   You have many years in the saddle, and experience as a horse trainer. Arguably, you have more horsemanship experience than many on this list or in the sport itself. But, bad things sometimes happen to good people and good horses, yourself included.  The point I was making was that, it's easy to make conclusions regarding what a rider is doing by glancing at their ride record, or witnessing their riding habits briefly at a ride. Chrystal's ride record belies her experience and preparation, and, as such, she probably doesn't need our advice, unless she asks. On the other hand, you have campaigned for severe punitive rules for riders perceived to override or abuse their horses, and indicted  the Board and the HWC as  ineffective and  indifferent to the safety of the  horse for not having passed such rules. Yet, your record reflects instances wherein you would be fully targeted under such rules, punished, censured and publicly humiliated. Did you really have YOU in mind when you proposed these rules? Or, do you see yourself as an exception, and that your pulls have reasonable explanations that mitigate the need for severe punishment--that your rule proposals are for other riders with similar records?
  I agree with Patrick that this should remain a sport of personal responsibility. Not a police state. It's a hobby, for crying out loud. The HWC has a mechanism whereby we will accept informal complaints and address concerns with riders who are brought to our attention by other riders. I can't remember the last time we received one. This doesn't mean abuse isn't occurring, it means our members need to be as willing to step up and report abuse, as they are to campaign for more rules. If anyone witnesses what they feel to be abuse of a horse in any manner, the thing to do is report it to the vet on site, to the HWC, and file a protest if need be to to the P&G Committee. Each case will be investigated in detail, and in the case of protests, customized penalties are doled out in proportion to the offense, if the rider is found culpable.
   By the way, Steph is an excellent horsewoman, who rides with her horse's best interest in mind. She is an articulate, knowledgable lady, and has probably logged more global miles than anyone I know of witnessing and participating in all levels of our sport, and reporting her experiences back to us. She supports the "backyard" rides, and is developing a very nice collection of "Turtle" awards lately. She is welcome at my campfire anytime. As long as she brings the beer.   Dr Q