RE: [RC] Endurance - FEI - glass houses? - Steph Teeter

Diane Trefethen wrote:

 The issue of concern isn't who is worse.  It is how we can
expect the American public and politicians to react when they see a
horse or horses die on television during an Olympic Endurance race and
then see that a substantial percentage of the starters wind up on
iv's. >>

This is definitely an important issue. And it is also foremost on the minds of
the FEI people, whether or not the sport ever goes Olympic (unlikely really) it
is still becoming much more visible. This isn't going to change. And do you
really think that if AERC bans FEI in conjunction with AERC rides, or tries
however it can to disassociate itself with FEI that this would make a
difference to the American public or politicians? Endurance is Endurance.
Soccer is Soccer. Rodeo is Rodeo.

What about big promotional rides like the Great Santa Fe Race this summer? It
will be televised, promoted, etc. A problem here could have just as much
repercussion with the American public as a problem at the Olympics.

The reason Australia has the system that they now have - log books and
qualification - is that in the past there was public outrage over the sport and
the government gave the federation a mandate to fix it. We could easily have
the same thing happen - and it's not necessarily FEI - this is the point I'm
trying to make. The FEI is actually addressing these issues and trying to
regulate the sport so as to protect the horse (and in doing so protect the
horse). These folks are not our enemy.

Steph

(I think you guys are giving me credit for too much intelligence in thinking
I'm clever enough to manipulate numbers to con anybody... I'm just a little
over enthusastic in my analogies at times)