[RC] need something more than the Parelli hackamore - sherman

I was going to use one of those halters with rings & knots, someone on ridecamp suggested that the knots confuse them and can cause pain/punishment even when you are merely signaling them.  So I just ride with the standard rope halter, although I’ve been getting Sonny accustomed to the bit as well, because he was a nutcase on his first 50 and ignored the halter for 25 miles. It was not his rope halter though, but a flat nylon one as he’d whacked his nose the week before the ride so I had to switch gear…we know not to do that!  His second 50 is coming up the end of the month, we’ll start out with the bit being used, then if he stays sane, I’ll switch the reins to the halter.

I think I would try the halter with the knots & rings IF I felt he needed a bit more control all the time, rather than just switch to a bit all the time.

I do use an S hack on 2 other horses, and it works well for them, but they were well trained and had good breaks to begin with. They do still fight (but not pull hard) to go faster for the first 10 or 15 miles of a ride. I think it’s time to quit fighting them now that they are conditioned enough to go faster. I realize that we’ve been wasting lots of energy trying to go too slow.

Kathy

After a friends recommendation I tried a sidepull from sunset halters http://www.sunsethalters.com/sidepull.html .  It a basic rope halter with extra knots over the nose and metal rings at each side to attach reins.  I am using reins with the leather ties at the end and absolutely love my horses response to this new combination.  I have used hacks, bits, and everything in between on him, but so far this is my favorite.  He is very responsive, and is lightening up every ride.  Plus the price cannot be beat!!

Ellen