[RC] AERC and International - Michael Maul

I always read the AERC members forum and I scan the Ridecamp Digests due to time constraints. A number of the BoD members read the forum - fewer read Ridecamp feeling that the volume of posts is too high.

Good discussion is always welcome on topics pertaining to AERC. The topic concerning AERC and International is one. But I'd like to put something in perspective with respect to what we read on the forum first.

AERC has about 6550 members. The number of members on the Forum now is 477 which is as high as it's ever been. That's about 7.2% of the membership or about 1 in 14 of our members is on the list.

Of those 1 in 14 - most are lurkers. In the past month, about 50 members of the 477 have posted - or 0.76% of our membership.

Of the 50 posting, the message count comes mostly from 8-10 members of the list. These members are generally articulate and care passionately about the topics on which they post.

But they represent a *very* small number of our membership. If the BoD listened to and responded on the basis of these postings - I think we would be responding to the "wheel making the most noise on the wagon". While that's sometimes what happens - it's not the best way for an organization to work.

That said - these members can still have valid points that the organization needs to respond to.

In the case of the discussions about whether AERC should still have an International Committee that is associated with the FEI organization - the BoD has discussed this a number of times in the past and still continues to discuss it informally. There are differing opinions on the BoD but as a group, we've always decided that some influence and contact is better than none.

The question about a separate organization was raised at the KY USEF endurance summit recently and I believe also discussed at the convention by AERC-I. There are some members of AERC-I who would like a separate organization but they are few.

The belief that separating AERC from FEI would protect our sport if something negative happened that was publicized isn't a good one in my view. The press and the public are not interested in what are subtle differences to them. It doesn't even apply to our own AERC members.

At a North American Pan Am Championship ride which was FEI sanctioned and *not* AERC sanctioned - there were some significant difficulties with an associated horse death. At a later AERC ride I attended there were a number of AERC members who took me to task for "Why didn't AERC do something here? Or at least investigate and assign responsibility?"

My statement that AERC had not sanctioned the ride nor had any involvement was dismissed as irrelevant. Their view was that AERC members were in the ride, that vets who also vetted AERC rides were participating, and that it was an "endurance" ride made it "AERC".

If even our own members don't appreciate the difference, I doubt that the press or public will see any difference whether AERC-I is a separate organization or not.

If having a separate organization doesn't protect us - the question about having insight into and possibly some influence is the one that I think makes a difference.

From what I've seen from the posts - it seems to me that the international group is making a sincere effort to improve conditions. Or at least significant parts of the organization are.

There are some who believe that the international scene may end up splitting into two groups - those who prefer "flat track" racing and those who believe in our more traditional technical competition. The second group includes the US, Australia, Canada, and some others. If this happens - I'd personally like AERC still involved and expect to have impact on the goals and directions for this group.

I also feel that AERC members who are on the FEI and USEF committees are excellent representatives of our views. Having Vonita Bowers as the USEF Director of Endurance is a great step in that direction. Vonita was on the BoD for many years and served as AERC President.

The discussion is useful to AERC whether it's on RC or the members forum. I will comment that it's more likely to be seen by BoD members on the members only forum.

Posting your views to your Directors is the best way to get a response. Talking to them at rides is another.

We depend on your feedback to do the right things for AERC. But we are not as likely to respond to a small number of posters who - while passionate and vocal - sometimes represent a "squeaky wheel". There's inertia in a BoD like ours and sometimes with good reason.

Mike