Re: [RC] [RC] Endurance - FEI - glass houses? - Maryanne Gabbani

Steph,
I would love to hear that there is some money earmarked for going back to some of the national federations here where ignorance is still bliss to provide information and training where it is so desperately needed...or even some enforcement to see that the equine welfare is not just a dead issue. This was one of the factors that so put me off the FEI at the beginning in Egypt. Endurance was tossed into the hands of people whose only expertise (such as it was, and it was rather shoddy at best) was in show jumping. There was absolutely no real effort made to bring any information to the riders and in the absence of information, there were an appalling number of injuries and deaths at first.

While it's great that they discuss the problems of the WEC, what about providing something to riders who are trying even to come up to compete on a national level? I'm sure that there are other national federations than the Egyptian where the managing body really doesn't know beans about endurance other than the fact that there is a budget for it. Or is FEI only concerned with FEI riders that are already competing internationally?

It's a sort of chicken and egg problem. No one  here knew anything about endurance before the FEI (international as represented by the UAE) came in and said "Let There Be Endurance!" and basically they have struggled along for the past seven years in the same fix. A few vets and some individuals studied for stewards' exams but there was nothing for the riders. Trying to bring education to riders at a grass roots level doesn't seem to be a priority...only the running of the big races. Or maybe I expect too much of FEI?

Maryanne