Re: [RC] question for Truman on his FEI opinion - Truman Prevatt

The AERC has no control over what competitions go on in the US. First of all the AERC could not stop anyone from having an endurance competition in the US. Joe Blow could go out and run the first annual Bo Diddley Memorial 10/25/50/100 mile endurance ride without AERC approval or AERC sanctioning. I have no animosity against FEI, USEF or anyone that wants to pursue international competition. That's is their choice - more power to them. I certainly do not hate anyone. I am certainly not telling anyone they can or can not compete in international endurance. Again that's their choice - more power to them and I wish them luck.

The AERC-I has accomplished its original goal. It has provided focus in the US promoting international endurance riding. Today endurance riding is an established discipline of the USEF. The AERC has no official standing in international endurance racing - that is the role of USEF. There is little reason for AERC-I to exist any longer. All services for those interested in international endurance can be provided for if not already being provided by USEF.

It is no secret that there are significant issues in FEI championship rides. There is a poor completion rate. There is an unacceptable high treatment rate. Even with the "quick to treat" protocol there is a high fatality rate. I can think of three on the top of my head and that is from three or four events I can recall.

The issue I have is with the AERC association with international endurance through AERC-I and our relationship with the USEF. It seems that many in the FEI from Steph's post have recognized they have a problem with horse welfare. However, other than some nice words, they don't have a solution to implement. I do not feel it is appropriate for the AERC BOD to put the AERC in the position of having to deal with or defend the practices and the resulting problems with the horses of the FEI endurance championships. First of all - the vast majority of the members have no dog in that fight. Those that want to ride international can do so without AERC. The AERC organizationally has no say on how the FEI runs its international championships. It seems to me very irresponsible to me for the AERC to put itself in the position of being associated with an organization that through it's events can have negative impact on the AERC while at the same time the AERC has no status to make changes that would lessen that potential impact.

I anyone wants to pursue international - that's their choice and that's fine by me. However, I do not believe that there is any need for the AERC to have any official association with international endurance. There is no need to - international will do just fine without it maybe even better. Today AERC doesn't really bring anything positive to the international endurance in the US - the USEF is firmly in charge and can provide all the services necessary. Today the AERC has no say on the horse welfare issues in international that have the potential to bite it in the ass, however, they are blindly supporting the organizations that are promoting those competitions in question. I think it's simply time the AERC recognize the facts that a) AERC-I is redundant; b) there are significant horse welfare issues with the FEI championship endurance rides; c) the AERC has much more to lose than gain by an overt relationship with international endurance and AERC-I is just that and d) the AERC is putting itself at risk of being painted with the same paint brush over the horse welfare issue if the AERC maintains the current approach. If AERC-I were sunset as a committee of AERC and AERC got out of the international endurance business - there would be no negative impact on those that wanted to ride international and it would better insulate AERC from potential problems in the future.

BTW it is too bad these issues can not be discussed in a logical manner without resorting to saying someone who may have a different opinion "hates something or someone." That is beneath the dignity of this list.

Truman

sterp wrote:
So Truman are you saying AERC should not ALLOW FEI competitions in the US? That certainly would take care of the problem any US rider wishing to compete Internationally would have to cross the borders to qualify. AERC and FEI are separate although they coexist at a very few rides in the US. I don't understand why you hate FEI and evidently any person who chooses to compete Internationally. There is an International committee in AERC as there is a Limited Distance committee. I accept your decision not to compete in FEI rides now don't tell me I can't. If I am missing something in your posts please clarify your position and reasoning.

Sandy Terp

--

“Since when have we Americans been expected to bow submissively to authority and speak with awe and reverence to those who represent us?” Justice William O. Douglas