Re: [RC] World Endurance Forum - In Summary - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

Thank you, Steph, for this post.  This is by and far the most encouraging bit
of news I have had in a long time regarding this industry.  Just this morning
when I woke up and reflected what I was going to do for the day.  I had this
fleeting thought of "what is this all for?"   I expressed concerns to myself
that the horse industry in the United States is rapidly changing.  That local,
county, and state over regulation of this industry has phased out a lot of
horse related businesses (boarding, qualified trainers, and research money).
That my own horses, with exceptional foundation bloodlines, are getting old.
Their rare bloodlines and getting more so each year.  It is a strange feeling
thinking you might be at the tail end of your career.  It is even more strange
to feel that you haven't left anything to make the world a better place.

So, with all of those thoughts in mind.  Reading Kevin Myers analysis of WEF.
I feel, as an equine collective body, we have all left the place a little
better.  Our passion for the industry and the sport as so many express through
Ride Camp and many other lists is an encouraging thought.  Maybe not
encouraging enough to want to continue breeding but encouraging.  Kevin struck
a nerve when he stated,  "My resolution, which I will think about when I am
riding my ten-hour 55-mile ride in Scottsdale next weekend, is to think of
ways to play a collaborative role in the evolution of this great sport."  Isn't
that GREAT food for thought.

Then I went outside and fed my horses!  As a surveyed the line of broodmares
knowing they are some of the finest stock in the world.  It didn't matter what
I had left.  What matters is what I am going to leave!  What sacrafice am I
willing to make to insure a better future for all of those that come behind me.
Then it struck me - in the final analysis the old addage "what you put in is
what you get out!"  Has never seemed more true, for me, today!

I will have an opportunity this month to work with a number of youth from the
ages of 6 to 16.   Then it comes back to the root and foundation of any
industries success, doesn't it, education!   I suppose one could say It is
there that my path has been written. So, please wish me the best and pray that
I do us all proud.  God Bless one and all.

D'Arcy L. Demianoff-Thompson

liberty4640@xxxxxxxxx