RE: [RC] Still don't get it - Garrett Ford

Truman-  It's frustrating to see this type of feedback from an endurance
rider.

EasyCare has been a consistent supporter of AERC since the early
eighties.  I would bet you would have a hard time finding a copy of
Endurance News without one EasyCare advertisement.  Most months of
Endurance News have more than one EasyCare advertisement, many have two
to four.  In addition to advertising in Endurance News, EasyCare has had
a similar advertising presence in magazines like Equus, Horse
Illustrated, Horse & Rider, Trail Blazer, Trail Rider and Western
Horseman.  This 25 years of consistent advertising drives business to
EasyCare dealers. This push through technique has helped tack shops,
e-commerce retailers, mail order catalogs and wholesalers sell the
EasyCare product range. Consumers will contact an EasyCare dealer and
ask for an Easyboot by name.

In addition to the push through created by our national advertising
campaign, EasyCare has put a great deal of energy into other tools that
push traffic to our dealers.  We have an Online Dealer Locator that
helps consumers find the closest dealer in their area, we have an online
Hoof Care Practitioner Locator that helps consumers find professionals
that can fit EasyCare hoof boots.  We have videos and blogs that help
consumers learn about hoof boots and natural hoof care techniques.  We
also have one of the best natural hoof care and hoof boot article
databases available to the public.  Each one of these tools helps
dealers sell our products.

EasyCare has also been a long time supporter of AERC and the sport of
endurance.  EasyCare is a Platinum Sponsor of AERC.  We have donated
thousands of ride awards over the years and continue to donate awards
every month.   EasyCare is going to be a consistent vendor at the AERC
National Convention.  We attended the AERC convention this year to
educate consumers about the EasyCare product range.  All sales were
directed to the EasyCare dealers exhibiting at the convention.  This
support of AERC and the national convention helps endurance retailers
sell our products.

EasyCare has also given a great deal back to several local trail
systems.  We have donated money and are members or sponsors of the
Arizona Trail, Tahoe Rim Trail, Western States Trail, The Equestrial
Land Conservation Resource, Nevada All State Trail Riders, and several
others.  These donations have helped support trails and trail riding.
This support helps dealers sell our products.

Although the majority of business decisions made by EasyCare are to
support our dealer channel, EasyCare does sell direct to the public. Why
do we do this?  The biggest reason is to reach our customer base. Many,
many horse owners live in remote rural areas that are sometimes 100+
miles from a retail dealer.  These consumers are many times the same
people who don't have high speed access and the ability to shop online.
They don't want to drive to a dealer, they want to speak to a
knowledgeable customer service person and have the product shipped.
EasyCare would do these customers and horses a disservice if we didn't
sell to them.  EasyCare takes care of these consumers at MSRP so our
dealers are not undercut.

I personally would be more concerned with the manufactures who don't
give their dealers the push through support needed to sell their
products.

I agree with your statement "Competing with your retailers is never a
good idea for a manufacturer" We don't compete with our dealers we
support our dealers.  Here is a short list of companies that have
similar business models.

www.apple.com
www.nike.com
www.levi.com
www.profchoice.com/index.html
www.toklat.com

EasyCare support of AERC and endurance riding is not justified by the
financial return we get back.  EasyCare supports AERC and the sport of
endurance riding because we love the sport and the people involved.  I
did my first endurance ride when I was 12 years old, I rode Tevis twice
as a junior and some of my best family memories are at endurance rides.
It's a great sport and a great bunch of people.

Garrett Ford
AERC# 1265