[RC] That's enough of hate mail. :-) - Michelle Aquilino

I just wanted to clarify that I didn't mean anything negative in my post.  I wouldn't say I'm "worried", per se.  Though maybe I am...  ha ha.  Everyone has been so incredibly welcoming and supportive of me.  I even moved to another state (not too far, MD to VA, but still) and was passed from one mentor onto another.  I suppose what it is, is that since I didn't come with a "recruiter", despite how nice everyone is to me, there's a difference between "being nice", and "having your back".  If I do something stupid, rude, or inconsiderate (like leaving a water spot on the trail while someone else's horse is still drinking), is there someone who'll have the guts to tell me "Michelle, you're being rude".

Because if there has been one thing I have noticed is that people are certainly sometimes quick to judge those doing the "wrong" thing, not doing what's "right" for the horse, etc...  I have nothing against this, as there are definitely certain basics rules of etiquette on the trail, and some basic things you need to do for horses, but it is certainly not what I want to have everyone yelling at everyone as for what they need to be doing (that would be chaos, ha ha).   - I just wanted to clarify so people don't take offense ;-)  -   But sometimes people don't even know they're being rude, or that they really need to put a blanket on their horse, no one is an "expert", and there are many people who could certainly use someone around to let them know when they are maybe steering a little off course (myself included).

I will be getting my first horse ever (soon I hope), so I am still learning a LOT, and more than welcome anyone to walk up to me and point things out that may help me or my horse.  But more than just telling me "you need to...", I'd love an explanation, I don't want to just do what's right now, I want to know how to tell what to do right in the future as well.  I want to learn everything... that's another thing I love about this sport...  learning about endurance riding makes me a better horse person, I believe.  I believe I could do dressage for years upon years, win blue ribbons upon blue ribbons, and if I wanted, still maintain a relationship with my horse where I strictly come, get on, ride, get off, and leave, leaving the entire care onto someone else.  I don't think that is the case with endurance riding in general, in order to succeed in the sport, you have to learn how to best care for your horse.

Ok, well, I will stop, because if you haven't realized it yet, my family and friends can definitely attest to how I can go ON and ON about how great endurance is, and this has been long enough, ha ha.  Aren't we all like this?

-Michelle

--
"Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die"