[RC] That's enough of hate mail. :-) - rides2far

OK I've been a good girl and sat very quietly until I was pretty sure
that anyone who had anything to say could get it off their chest. I spent
most of the time since this thread started just kinda baffled. I kept
thinking...*what* could have them so upset??? Which group did I put
down??  If anything I have irritated my horse friends across the spectrum
from jumping to barrel racing by trying to convince them *and their
present horses* that all they'd be happier if they'd do endurance.

Heck, somewhere around here I have a long essay I wrote in 1987 to a TN
horseman's publication (they didn't print it) about how I thought all
breeds should compete in endurance for their own breed awards. My logic
was that you have TB racing, QH racing, Appaloosa, Arab and Standardbred
racing but they don't race on the same track at the same time. However,
there's too few endurance rides to have them separate, so they should all
compete and get a "first of that breed award" to encourage solid breeding
practices in each. When I managed the TN Spring Ride I promised to give a
"first of breed" award to any breed that let me know they were coming.
They were halter plates saying "first whatever" and I gave Arab, 1/2
Arab, QH, Morgan, Appaloosa, TWH, Grade & Mule (that I recall). For
anybody to say I'd actively discourage non-Arab breeds is just wrong and
nowhere in the article does it say that.

We all have a point of reference when we mention something. At the time I
heard the term "Lead'em & Feed "em (which I heard from a good friend who
showed halter and swore that if he could have 100 horses and not ride one
he would) I rode Appaloosas. I was once at a show where my 4-H
instructor's Grand Champion Halter horse bowed a tendon as he shuffled
into the ring for a halter class. My horse was very athletic but she
assured me he wasn't built right for halter. She is the person I pictured
who would never "get" endurance thus I wouldn't recruit her.

I tried to think what other "type" I insulted that someone might
associate themselves with and get offended. All I could think of was the
statement:

She looked more like the sort of person that would carry viruses,
fungi, and plagues that army sergeants warn young soldiers about before
they go on leave in Hong Kong. For days I watched my tongue for white
spots and waited for signs of Herpes type 6, or some comparable
disease<<<<<<<

I didn't think there was a Herpes type 6 when I wrote that, and maybe
there wasn't in 1997 and is now...if so and you have it, I'm sorry I
offended you. I carry 2 waterbottles now so it's not a problem.

It took Michelle Aquillino's very logical post to make a bell go off.
She wasn't recruited and that worried her. >slapping of forehead<.  I
think *here's* the problem. That article was originally printed in
Trailblazer in 1997!  Think back to 1997, any of you who were around, and
tell me how you found this sport if you weren't recruited. It was
practically impossible. It was literally an underground society. The
whole "gotta check them out before we invite them in" thing was to make
sure these people had a little information in them *before* they showed
up at a ride. That was a big deal!  I was dead serious when I said our
riding club almost hung me for putting entry forms at a local feed store.
There was not the time, or the ability to train newcomers on the spot and
this was a time when vets knew less about treatments, were just starting
to use the CRI, didn't know much about electrolytes, were just getting
pretty regular about even having gates into holds.

Nowadays the internet has changed how people can find out about us. They
can google trail riding, discover endurance, go to AERC.org and let the
education articles mentor them. That's great! We probably have more
problems with information overload on these self recruited people than we
do with them being underprepared. The only problem I see with this is
that they may get to a ride and not have someone to introduce them
around, which can make them feel left out. That's one thing that was nice
about being someone's recruit. This just makes it doubly important for
the ride manager who they contact to hook them up with someone who'll
notice they're alone and make a point of asking them how they're doing
and just helping them break the ice.

You know we're bringing back the "Each One Add One" campaign to bring
more people into the sport. At the time Maggie Price introduced that
*recruitement* was pretty much the only way to up membership.  Maybe in
addition to that, we should acknowledge the internet as an improvement on
the recruiting scene and say, "Each one refer someone on another list to
AERC.org" :-)

To everyone who said something nice. Thanks! It was kinda like getting
listen to my own funeral. Don't worry, I didn't take it seriously.

Angie