[RC] Cougar's Clown and Bernice Kalland - Tx Trigger

Steve wrote: >>Cougars Clown was by Cougar Rock out of a mustang/Appy and
she is still used for fun (a 4.5 mile an hour walk!) and maybe a short ride
and tie once a year. I was lucky to get her from Sabine but even luckier to
get to know Bernice Callen who raised Clown. I miss Bernice from this sport.
Every time I see a rattlesnake I think of her.<<<

Wow, I'm getting old. Can not believe that mare is 23 now! Goodness, I
remember her from the mid-late 80's on the trail as a youngster.  I boarded
my horse up at Bernice's place for a few months when he needed some time off
once. She had a cattleguard on the property, and my gelding, being the
calculating thinking type, carefully stepped on the bars and walked across
the cattleguard to get to the other side.  She had to lock him in another
field, before he taught her horses to cross it. Bernice was always a sharp
competitor on the trail. She had the awesome Rushcreek Magi, AKA "Mouse".
She loaned him to me to keep at our house a few days to mark some trail for
a NATRC ride I was putting on while my horse was laid up, and then she came
and rode drag for us even though her horse was used to winning 50 mile
endurance rides, they tagged along calmly behind the NATRC riders.  Thanks
for bringing up her name Steve, and jogging my memory for a bit on the days
I got started in the sport.  And yes, Bernice sure did know how to handle a
rattlesnake, eh??? <grin>
Jonni