Re: [RC] Professional Endurance Trainers - Lynne Glazer

Mmmmm, not "hate mail". Dirty Harry said "...a man's got to know his limitations." I can *maintain* training that's been given to my horse, making sure that consistency is offered to him, and even build on those base skills a little. But putting those basics on is not what I am best at--including things like teaching my horse to carry himself correctly, using his back end instead of pulling with the front.

I did do all of the urban-trail-training of my first endurance horse, who went from paid basics and training on the Tevis trail to the cacaphony of Norco (camels, llamas, trash trucks, construction, maniacs in cars, dogs loose and rushing the fence, etc.) and all of the trail training for my current mount (urban and rural) until 2 years ago. My current mount got NH basics, arena and RP only, from a pro. He is not an easy horse to ride (not a spooker, just a tall, gumby, snaky, athletic guy) and he now has dressage "buttons" from once a week schooling with this current trainer plus my maintenance and 350ish miles of competition. I can use those "buttons" (cues) to achieve the end results, without having to break them down into steps as was done when he was learning. She likes working with challenging horses, it's her "thing".

We are still working on "whoa" (I *mean it*, Q!), not following too closely at the trot (wants to lead) and we cross-train in jumping, which he also got schooled in from both of us. I guess I just need puzzle pieces with instructions/that go together in a coherent order, not just them all lying loose in the box lid for assembly. Your mileage may, of course, vary.

With those basics and refinements, we can of course go down the trail for lots more miles, like your dressage barn sez.

Lynne
http://www.photo.lynnesite.com