[RC] I've got hatemail - Spottedracer

Um, I think you're one of the people who don't "get" Angie.

***People that need to make themselves look better by degrading others - are
not the type of individuals that I prefer to know, understand, or support by
purchasing a book.... After reading this article - Myself and many others
wouldn't ever consider purchasing anything written by her..You should've heard
some of the comments spoken about it at the City Slickers ride...I'm far from
the only one that thought the article was in very poor taste.

Just by printing that article, AERC turns off prospective members because they
present these views as the common views held by the AERC membership.
She single-handedly turned off over a dozen Senior students to ever think of
AERC as 'minority friendly' (and yes, all are accepted to MD or Pharmacy
school, all horse lovers/riders, all will be VERY well-off and able to compete
in whatever they want to in the next ten years....the type of young people AERC
WANTS)

You know, there's a difference between comedy and rudeness.... I'm sure that
people felt it was 'funny' back in the 50's-60's to talk about those 'stupid
niggers' who thought they should be treated the same.. as well as it was
'funny' to joke about women who WANTED to work and not have children. 'Funny'
to joke about kids born with handicaps. Yep, back then people had many opinions
that we now consider reprehensible - but they thought it was 'funny'.

Maybe I'm just different - I was raised in the military and taught to VALUE
diversity.. I'm currently enrolled at a minority University... I'm being
trained to become a teacher - and of course to VALUE diversity and to encourage
children/people of all types to try to attain their goals.. Regardless of how
'different' they are from me, or whether I even like them..

I prefer to OPEN my mind - not joke about how close minded we should be.. I
don't feel the need to get a cheap laugh by needlessly degrading others because
they are 'different' - Regardless of how 'funny' I think the degradation is...
It's still degradation!

I'm far from the only one insulted.. Have 10 emails from quite list members
whom all agree with me on this.. they just don't like to get BLASTED for having
differing opinions and open minds...But then, I'm a strong enough person - not
to have to 'go with the herd' - when the herd is going in the wrong
direction....

So give me your best shots... If being open-minded, sensitive to other's
perspectives, a supporter of diversity, against making potshots at others
because they are 'different' - is wrong.. then I'm DAMN proud to be WRONG!!

- LP