[RC] I've got *hate* mail! - rides2far

Well folks, I guess I've *truly* arrived. I just got my first REAL hate
mail and I've just got to share.

I got a 3 page single spaced letter postmarked from Oakland California
about the article EN recently printed, "Endurance Riding By Invitation
Only".  Since it's anonymous, I can only guess it was written by Roseanne
Rosanne Danna. I kept thinking about Foghorn Leghorn's saying, "It's a
JOKE son!"  It starts out blasting me for being anti-Quarter Horse
because I commented on the "Lead'em and Feed'em Halter Heifer, I mean
Horse ranks" and goes on to blast me for being and Arab snob.  Whoa! Did
I mention Quarter Horses *anywhere* in that article? Do Arab shows not
have *halter* classes?? Does she know I started out for the first 2 years
on Appaloosas (a half QH Appaloosa at that!)???  >sigh< Then she goes on
to say how appalled she and her sister, as show riders, were at how
unfriendly the atmosphere was at rides compared to the show ring. >double
sigh<

Of course *she* has helped people apply easyboots (ditto here) stopped to
help hurt people (ditto here) and though SHE rides an Arab she hasn't
harrassed newcomers who don't the way *I* would. (hard to do that when I
was on an Appaloosa at the time and all)

All I can say is you folks in Oakland must be pretty cutthroat because
according to her in her two years experience of competition you guys run
her off the trail, shove her away from water, don't know how to ride, are
*very* cliquey, and the mentors in her area seem to hope she doesn't
succeed.

Then she took offense at my "never recruit anyone you wouldn't want to
drink after" statement. She asked, "Is that water only, or alcoholic
beverages".

Hello... woman, I think everybody who has ever even run into me or read
anything I write knows I'm a Southern Baptist. One sip of beer would send
us straight to hell. I don't drink ANYTHING.  Insinuating I'm a drunk
sure won't fly. >g<  Then she said, "So as for drinking from a water
bottle that you find on the trail, how gross. Have you ever looked inside
a porti potti? There are some dirt, nasty people out there".

I knew it...she thinks her **** dont' stink! >eg< Heck, put a porta potti
in a nunnery and it's gonna be dirty, and nasty woman! Does she think
somebody fills their waterbottle up in there? What's she been looking in
there for??  Oh yeah...then she throws in a jab that all us *endurance
riders* have fancy living quarters don't we. HA HA. She should get a good
look at my 1994 truck pulling a 1988 trailer with me sleeping on a cot in
the back. Go on Rosanna....

Then, my favorite part. After sending an anonymous letter, she writes:

"Thank you again, I do not expect this to be printed or a response, I
just had to let it out".

Respond... to an anonymous letter? Who am I supposed to send it to??

I got to thinking about this letter and that article and I think what has
happened is you guys in Oakland are doing the right thing. You've tried
to recruit the right kind of people...fun loving, no chips on shoulders,
intelligent, ABLE TO TAKE A JOKE, etc. and somehow this person slipped
through the cracks. Thus, when she's around you're trying hard to make
things appear not fun so she'll go away. I know it's difficult and you
really like new people so you're probably a little stressed about this
but  all I can say is, stay at it. As bad as I offended her and if you
guys keep it up, you all should be free of her soon. :-))

Angie