Re: [RC] [RC] Just for the sake of discussion - April

Weather.com reports the weather for zip 38134 as a high of 81 on Friday and a high of 84 on Saturday.

WeatherUnderground.com reports the highs as 81 and 83 on Friday and Saturday respectively.

On Friday there was a very nice breeze that felt good to the riders and probably the horses. No idea about Saturday as we left.

There were several horses clipped on Friday. I know there were more that were clipped that night in preparation for the Saturday ride.

Personally, I did not clip, but then again, my horse does not grow a significant coat, he started shedding in February and I've blanketed him several nights when it got chilly in the last month. I also braided his mane and spent time Thursday currying him to get as much hair off as I could.

I think something that might have been overlooked is little shade. One vet check area had no shade; the other had limited shade. This worked out ok for me and my horse, but maybe because of the wind, some people didn't realize how hot it really was to their horses in full sun? Just a guess here. It seemed to me we were out in the sun a lot during the ride, too, not just in the vet checks. It didn't feel overly hot to me, but then I got to ride in a quick-drying t-shirt and summer tights. I wished for a pop-up awning at the vet checks. Might have to look into one of those.

It was a beautiful ride, but the weather turned warm quickly. Just a week before in the same place, it was a high of 60 degrees. I've been told that ride has been run in very cold temps. I guess nature's just trying to make the averages work out. ;-)

April
Nashville, TN
http://www.tracetribute.com April 7, 2007
http://endurancerider.blogspot.com

On 3/26/07, rides2far@xxxxxxxx <rides2far@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>  But, they had 4 horses treated the first day, and 2 the second.

Just curious. How many of them were clipped? I clipped Gunner
yesterday and though I didn't *think* he had that much hair I sure
took a ton off. After clipping it was hard to imagine training in
this heat with it. Can't imagine showing up to a ride when it's 90
degrees with a hairy horse. Can you imagine if you'd had to wear the
same coat you wore in the worst of winter to run that trail? :-P