Re: [RC] re: Truman's safety cage incident - Truman Prevatt

My accident was one of those freak things. The trail I was on has a lot of smaller pines - maybe 2 to 3 inches around. I normally turn my toes into to the horses shoulder and they slide right off over the outside of my foot. I'd been riding that trail - pretty fact - for years. That day one of the pines managed to slide off the cage toward the inside and slid right under my leg. You know those times where things happen in slow motion and you know when it is over - it won't be pretty. Well this was one. Since the pine was about 12 feet tall, it just peeled me right out of the saddle and flipped me to the other side. Solid cages would have not made any difference since it wasn't a stick in the cage thing. I've seen that also - but not that day.

Basically my feet with the shoes I ware are way too big to go through or get stuck easily in my stirrups so I don't worry about it. My leather will come off pretty easily if necessary. One reason I much prefer English saddles. However, it is probably a good idea for all juniors to have cages. It's also I think a good idea for someone with small feet - heels or not.

When I was a kid, I got my foot caught in a stirrup when my pony spooked and bolted when a tractor backfired - and I had boots with heels. I was drug for about 100 yards. The only saving grace was it was on freshly disc ground so it was soft and the pony could not run too fast or two far.

Truman

Cindy Collins wrote:
That's why I ride with a solid cage. I lost an entire stirrup and leather in the middle of the BH ride one year when a tree branch caught my woven type cage. I still love the cages and believe in them, I just went with the solid ones.

Cindy Collins c_collins@xxxxxxx <mailto:c_collins@xxxxxxx>

--

“Since when have we Americans been expected to bow submissively to authority and speak with awe and reverence to those who represent us?” Justice William O. Douglas