Re: [RC] [AERCMembersForum] GPS - "As you know..." - Don Huston

Susan,
Good grief...a GPS is a good tool and you just said so yourself. My contention is that in the hands of a careful user a good GPSMap series 76 or 60 will give results within 2-5% short and I can prove it. Just because you encountered a ride that was too long does not mean that the problem was just because of the GPS. The GPS operator was also not up to the task. Tools are only as good as the people who use them.

You mentioned the use of a wheel to measure the trail. On a hard flat surface some wheels can measure within 1% but on rough terrain the errors go nuts. The wheel now starts measuring over rocks and down into depressions that are completely passed over by the horse's hooves. I just did a quick test with my wheel, a large all terrain type, by putting a 12 foot tape on the sidewalk and placing red bricks to simulate fist-sized rocks (2.5"highx4"wide) every 3 feet. 0=no brick, 3,6,9,12=bricks. After going over the brick at 12ft the wheel said 13+ feet. That is an 8% error long without any dips which would increase the error. If the operator decides to wiggle sideways around the bricks the wiggle causes the same error. Meanwhile the horse has bypassed the bricks and sideways wiggles and traveled 12 feet not 13. That was a crude test and of course the trail has many other obstacles that cause wheel errors both long and short but you get the idea, a wheel is no more accurate than a good GPS used by a careful operator.

Lastly it seems that a surveyor, me, that has been measuring all types of land with many different tools for 40+ years has no credibility with you since you are dead set against any possibility that a GPS, even in the hands of a careful operator, can measure an endurance trail. I know you have experts that have denounced the use of a GPS and for the trails that they know were measured incorrectly they are justified in their criticism. To then cast out all GPS usage because of the previous improper use of unsuitable units and their resulting incorrect data is ridiculous. GPS data is not perfect but neither is any other method. If used carefully and checked with maps and other software the results can be within 2-5% which gives a RM another good tool to measure their trail with the added bonus of really great maps.
Don Huston