[RC] Won't hurt?--Now Electrolytes - Jody Rogers-Buttram

   Ok,

  I think we have heard from many that don't believe in electrolytes or not using a lot of them.    Let me tell the other side of the story.   And I know, I will get flamed for over dosing my horses, causing horrible ulcers, and just being a bad horse owner in general, etc.

  In right at 12,000 endurance miles  ( I am 70 miles away from that mark now)  I have ridden several different horses.  I have started out using the "calf elytes" back in the 70's when that was the best you could do.   I have mixed my own for several years, because like Angie, I couldn't see paying tons of money for the fancy stuff in a tube.  But, I have always used them.  I don't believe I have ever owned a horse that was suffering from ulcers, they didn't seem to show any of the signs that I read or hear about and never suffered any setbacks in their careers.  I don't think that I have had a history of collicking horses either.  But, I do know that I have owned three horses that HAD to have elytes, and had to have just the right balance.  The homebrew didn't work on two of them, it did on one.  Now, you may say, "well, they may not have been cut out for endurance to begin with".  Wrong.  These were my best horses.  Once I got the formula right, they literally went to win the next event.  All three would cramp if not given the "right" formula.  Two were mares, the other a gelding.  And not giving them didn't help either.  I have seen one cramp like crazy on a hot/humid ride when I didn't give her enough, becaused I skipped a dose.   It depends on the weather and the pace your riding.

   Do I believe that people can do rides without them?  Sure.  Do I believe that you can over do a LOT of stuff?  Sure.  Do I believe that they cause ulcers?  Well, I'd say the jury is still out on that one.  According to the Gastroguard salesman that came to the SERA convention to speak on the topic....just being a horse causes ulcers...and that there really was no hard core evidence/studies showing that endurance/elytes causes them.  He said that a foal only a few days old could/had developed them.

   I would say that we all have to sort out our own horses, and then do what works.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  If it could be better, try it.  You don't have to keep doing it.  If you want to do something new, then try it at home for Pete's sake and not at a ride.  I think that if we really thought about it, our horses are amazing in how they deal with all the aspects of this sport.  Traveling, new surroundings, strange horses, being poked and picked at.  They do adapt, and are truly wonderful animals.

Jody