[RC] re: crewless riders - Cindy Collins

I graciously, but adamantly, disagree, Truman.  It is true that if you are
permanently crewless and are not a self-sufficient type of person, then you
certainly want to avoid rides where it is "difficult to ride crewless."
However to say that everyone should avoid those rides just continues us down a
sad path where the only rides left will be ones where horses are in box stalls,
meals are catered, big prizes abound, trails are in loops with easy terrain and
easy access, etc.  In other words, all of the things some of us hate about the
evolution of the sport in recent years.  That is NOT to say that I don't enjoy
those amenities when they come around.  It does mean that we would lose
something very precious if that's what we require at all rides.  All of your
other suggestions are excellent.  I am sure that you could ride Tevis or BH
crewless, but many people could not  and would not (and those are two extremes
in the sport as far as volunteers and expectations). However, I would never say
we should avoid those rides.  We just need to plan accordingly when we attend
rides that take a bit of self reliance and we need to keep our expectations in
line with the realities of the terrain.

Truman said:
And finally - if the ride doesn't support crewless riders then that is the last
time you should support that ride. Voting with your feet is a very good way to
get your point across.

Truman

Cindy Collins
c_collins@xxxxxxx