[RC] newbie question re holds and crew - rides2far

i'm used to handling the water/grain/hay at holds myself. just
wanted to know if ride management provides a way for the gear bag to
make  it
to holds.

I've never known management *not* to tell where a truck would be parked
to put stuff in for an away check. Having been a member of management
I'll tell you that if you very clearly color code or whatever your stuff,
it's much easier to set you up a nice little area of all your stuff
instead of just putting everyone's stuff in one big clump.

so one more follow up question - what about water at
holds?> do they generally have a water source there?

You're talking to everyone from New Mexico to Maine here. I'm sure
there's every variation. At the rides here in the SE if there's no
natural water source...and usually even if there is, the management will
get someone like the local fire department to come with a tanker and fill
up troughs. Our ride borrowed a big water tank from the National Guard
for our away check.

Doesn't hurt to ask. I'm sure logistics would be overwhelming on some of
the multi-days for the management to "take care" of everyone. There's
some rides where you're expected to be more self sufficient than others
but I think it's pretty safe to say you could do any ride in the SE
region with no crew and if you're a nice person you'd have more help than
you even wanted. :-)   If you happen to get to an area and people seem
rude when everyone said they were nice...check and make sure you are a
nice person. :-))

Angie