[RC] Liver Shunts in Dogs - susan mccourt

Hello Everyone,

I know this is off topic but I also know we're all animal lovers and many vets read this so I'd appreciate any help you have to offer.  I have a 7 month old Mini Daschund that has just been diagnosed with having a Liver Shunt.  I've done lots of reading on this but most everything I've found is on diagnosing it.  I do have him on a prescription diet and meds but he still very uncoordinated with his walking.  Other than surgery my vet tells me this is all I can do.  I was told that surgery will run about $2000 and he has to be tested first which is another $1000, I can't afford all that right now. Is there anything I can do to help him walk and run better besides surgery?  He falls down about every third step.  I feel so bad for him.  However he is very happy, and seems to be doing better with the special diet and meds.  I just want to make sure I'm doing all I can for him and thought maybe someone on here had some info.

Thanks So Much,
Susan---from Arkansas