Re: [RC] Riding in Mountain Lion Country - Truman Prevatt

These big cats - be they the Cougar or FL Panther are lazy. The hunt their food and take it by surprise. They will take the easy prey - for example a hurt deer - rather tackle the biggest fastest and strongest prey. They only hunt to eat - their not looking for a fight. They don't hunt to kill. Humans have little to fear from the big cats. I've had the pleasure of seeing a FL Panther as it ran into the woods as we galloped over a sandy hill early one cold morning. The sandy trail muffled the ground impact of my horses feet so I was on saw him before he detected me. But as soon as he saw me, he was gone.

Personally I am much more concerned about the introductions of non native animals into the environment and their impact. The python has now gotten a foot hold in FL and they can live in the US. They are now breeding in Florida. I killed a 14 foot long snake - about as big around as my upper arm - that was living in the my woods. While I am not sure he was a python (fish and wildlife hasn't confirmed what it is yet), there are no native snakes in the US that get that big. Such species will change the balance of nature. There have been observations in S. Florida of a python eatting the up to now king of the swamp - the gator.

Now this puts a whole new challenge of riding a 100 at night, eh ;-) !

Truman

k s swigart wrote:

In my experience, mountain lions are a small threat indeed to a person mounted on horse back. Neither people nor horses are regular "fare" for mountain lions, they do not chase any of their game (they are stealth hunters), and will turn and flee if even mildly threatened....which is easy to do on horse back.