Re: [RC] More Whoa Needed - rides2far

I've been thinking this over some more Mike, Is Molly not the mare that
was imported from Argentina where she had been a racehorse?

Just  a bit of remeniscing here. In 2001 Samantha (former owner of Molly)
and my daughter Josie were practically tied for 1st Junior in the SE
points race. We all went to Hahira, the fastest course I know of, flat,
firm sand. We figured whoever finished ahead would win the championship
(It was Nov.)  It takes 2 fast horses to make a fast junior, the
sponsor's horse has to be able to do the pace too. Turned out both kids
had a sponsor whose horse had competed in the Pan Ams that year, so they
weren't shabby. At the start of the ride they took off like bats out of
hell and for once, I just went with them. It was one of those "This is
insane, but if their horse can do it I think mine can" moments. I
remember thinking that I doubted Samantha could stop that horse if she
tried. It was *crazy*. My daughter was on an 18 year old horse that was
pretty controllable, so I didn't feel as scared but I would have been
terrified if that had been my kid on Molly. It was the fastest leg I've
ever done on any ride, ever. I wish I could find that ride card because
it felt like it was wide open.  They all pulsed down really fast and the
pace stayed really fast all day. I remember we had a small lead on them
leaving from the last vet check and we cantered the whole way. When Josie
was little she had a very old pony and I'd only let her canter her once
or twice a day and she'd always wanted to canter more. On that leg she
was *sick* of cantering and complained her legs hurt. I said, "You want
to trot, we'll trot" and she said "NO! Samantha will catch us!" >g<  We
finished in 4:21 five minutes behind the winner. Samantha finished in
4:34. Josie's 18 year old horse got BC even though a HW won the ride.

Samantha took Molly to JD's ride, did the whole 50 miles and got pulled
for lameness at the finish. Josie got the championship. That was a heck
of a competiton.  Good luck convincing that mare you're not there to
race. :-)

Angie