[RC] more whoa--releasing the bit when you get it - Dawn Simas

I know it seems obvious, but I felt it's important enough to mention.

When you ask her to slow by picking up the rein, concentrate and be sure to *release* when she gives you some slowing motion.  If she immediately surges forward when you release, pick it right back up.  But be *clear* with an immediate release if she does what you ask.  Often it may seem you are squeezing/releasing every half second and can be tough to concentrate for long, but I think it's clearer for the horse to figure out what you want in the long term.

I myself find it easy to fall into a syndrome of a pulling match with a strong forward horse.  But from the horse's perspective, the bit has completely stopped meaning anything communicative and is just something to argue with when there is no release.

For me it is very difficult to release their mouth when they are on the verge of being a runaway, but it is necessary in keeping the communication line clear and getting results in the long term.  :)

Dawn