Re: [RC] Question... - Sisu West Ranch

In western states there is a real exotic weed problem.  Some folk think that the weed seeds go through the horse and then grow in the manure.  This is probably not true, but is actually irrelevant.  Hay with weed seeds that is scattered around camping areas does promote weeds.

As a result, the various states and regions, have set up standards to certify
"weed free forage".  This is required by public land managers.  Most pellets available in the west say that they are weed free on the label.  Either the field was inspected, or the pelleting process heated things hot enough to kill weed seeds.

Hay can be certified.  My hay is.  Some states or areas use tags.  Montana and I think most areas now, use special twine.  One string on each bale is blue and orange not the usual orange.  In addition the producer has a certification and will supply a ticket confirming the hay, and the serial number of the original certificate.  Right now my hay has only been certified for MT, I hope to get it regionally certified next year.  As a practical matter when the rangers look at your hay, if it has the special twine, they normally will not ask any more questions.  The tags had the problem that it was quite easy to save them and claim they were for the hay you had.  They were also a royal pain to put on each bale.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875