Re: [RC] endurance discussion topic - Truman Prevatt

Chrystal Woodhouse wrote:

Hmmm but horses ARE an expensive hobby and endurance is still not that bad,

Hmmmmmmm......... does the Sport of Kings make ring a bell ;-) .

Seriously last summer we took off for about 2 weeks. We went to Michigan to do the Shore to Shore. We took a few days - stopping by Tennessee - to get there. We had a wonderful pleasant trip - if you ignore the truck problems. We arrived a few days early and hung out - letting everyone recover. We did some rides, we enjoyed the cool weather, we did some sight seeing - we had a ball. We met a lot of nice people and rode some nice trails. On our way back we stopped off at Jeanie Miller's house to get ready for the push South and Jeanie was a wonderful hostess. We got to stop by to visit some relatives that live outside Cincinnati on the way back. It was a great trip - and probably about the least expensive two week vacation one could take.

Endurance riding is still a deal.

The one thing that is interesting, however, and this does impact us because it impacts ride managers. I ran a ride some years ago where I leased a pasture for camp by a state forest for a ride. Ride managers don't make money although there may be a lot of people that show up. Well this guy was out counting rigs. He figured I was getting rich and he wanted a part of the action. It was a two day ride and he had the balls to come to me between days and want more money. He threaten to have us thrown out. I told him "have at it" since I had a signed contract.

After the ride he made it known he wanted a cut in the action the next year. We went elsewhere. The bottom line is there are a lot of people that look at a 100 trailers - some quite nice - and decide that there is money being made and they want their cut. I've had it happen with two land owners where I had base camp and one outfit supplying food. If you are on public land for base camp there doesn't seem to be much an issue. However, when you use private land - sometimes the land owner thinks you are making big bucks and he wants his cut. No matter what you tell him/her - they won't believe you. The can get very creative - 10 bucks per trailer, 20 bucks per horse or even charging by the horse and person! The first guy I mentioned actually went through camp counting all the trailers, all the horses and all the people. He wanted to charge me for vets, volunteers, etc.

The joys of running a ride.

Truman

--

“Since when have we Americans been expected to bow submissively to authority and speak with awe and reverence to those who represent us?” Justice William O. Douglas