Re: [RC] endurance discussion topic - Lysane Cree

As soon as you consider going to any sort of event with a horse, I think you have to expect that it is going to cost you. It is true that not everyone will be able to afford it but most people find ways to cut costs elsewhere and save in order to pursue what they want to do. As some people mentioned, local shows are probably still costing alot more than the average endurance ride.

I think I have a good paying job and yet with life's expenses, I still need to plan carefully and save for the rides I want to do. Money was particularly tight over the past 6 months and I made myself a "Ride Money" jar where I (and my husband) dump some spare change, somtimes just some pennies and quarters, sometimes a little more. I roll it on a regular basis and bring it to the bank to replace the loose change with bills. Well so far, it has paid last week's $200 vet bill for vaccines, teeth floating, and Coggins in preparation for the ride season. And last I checked there was enough for the first ride I want to go to and part of the second ride.
So there are ways to try to deal with costs, and I don't think the ride managers are the ones who should be blamed for the cost of rides. If an individual ride is much more expensive than the average and there is no good reason for it, then go elsewhere, they'll get the message when no one shows up.

At a 2 day event I have helped organize for a couple of years, we are happy if we get enough people to cover what it costs us for the materials to build or repair obstacles, provide lunches drinks and coffee for the volunteers, purchase prizes, provide dinner for everyone, etc, etc. and we charge $55 for the whole weekend, plus $10 per day to rent a stall or 5$ for a standing stall (most don't camp, don't know why). Most years we just break even if we get at least 15 people.

Lysane