[RC] horse slaughter vs vegitarianism - sherman

This might be your opinion, but it is not how most people feel about animal ownership. There are many reasons a person may not want to keep a horse or other animal they have purchased. Maybe it was misrepresented to begin with, drugged, etc. Perhaps it was bought as an untrained 3 yr old and is not suitable for the purpose it was acquired or turns out to be unsafe to be around. IMO, it is unrealistic to expect a person who buys a horse to be responsible for that horse until death. People are not even responsible for their families forever, why would you think we should be responsible for every horse that comes across our paths?

A couple years ago I was given a horse that its owner could no longer keep due to illness & financial problems. Was she irresponsible for not being able to afford the horse any longer? She was also fearful that she’d get injured by the horse and because she already has medical problems could not risk that. I kept the horse only long enough to feel it was safe being handled and on the trails, then found her a new home. I feel no responsibility to that horse. I’m currently doing the same thing with another horse and when I find him a new home, my responsibility ends.

I do however feel totally responsible towards my family and I think our society would be greatly improved if your ideas would be applied to human relationships.

Kathy

Raven wrote:

How about making folks who decide to become horse owners responsible
for committing themselves to the horse ......for life?