[RC] slaughter vs consumption - Karen Everhart

Hi Suzanne,

You already have the best "reasonable" answer and that is to breed the VERY BEST representatives of your preferred breed and do it on a very limited basis.  You are not breeding for the next NCHA or NRHA Champion or Kentucky Derby winner, etc.  You are not breeding 1000 babies in hopes of getting 1 stellar individual. You are not doing embryo transfer for multiple copies of one mare, etc.

If all breeders practiced what you have already articulated, things would be much better for the horse.

Karen Everhart MEd
President
Rainbow Meadows Rescue and Retirement, Inc.
www.rainbowmeadowsranch.com
620-725-3402

Owner/Operator Horse Calls - Equine Management Solutions
Centered Riding Instructor
Distance Horse Conditioning and Training
www.horsecalls.com
316-648-5082

I also have to confess. I do breed Morgan horses; no not very many. They are of old foundation lines. Foundation Morgans account for 3% of the breed and the breed is not a very large breed. So what does a person do? Do we stop breeding all of our horses? If we do then what happens to these breeds? Do they become extinct?

Suzanne Avery; breeder of a few good horses that is sick at heart over this whole thing.
Kansas Bluestem Morgans