From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Donna Coss
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 11:50 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Federal Inspection

"Point taken.     . .  Why hasn't the method of
slaughter been addressed instead of outlawing the
practice altogether?  I ask out of ignorance, not
malice.
The answer I remember from my reading was that it
would be so very expensive to pay for government
regulators to physically inspect on a level that would
curb the bad habits in force at these plants

THE ABOVE STATEMENT is very inaccurate!  The horse facilities are manned
by Federal Meat Inspectors
and they come under the EXACT SAME  RULES  and regulations enforced at
any Federal plant in the U.S.
Cattle, hogs etc.   The Federal Inspectors oversee all the post- mortem
and Anti-mortem processes in
these plants.  They are in charge of seeing that the animals are
comfortable and have feed and water
when they are in the holding pens.

This is strictly enforced and ANY violation can shut down the plant
instantly!    Any meat that is shipped across state lines MUST be
inspected by Federal meat inspectors!!

Their job is also to oversee the actual stun bolt process and make
certain this is done in a humane way.
Many of the Federal Inspectors are veterinarians--they must pass
difficult testing in order to be licensed.

How do I have knowledge of this?  I was close friend of a state/federal
inspector and he described in detail
his job.  He shut down the plants more then once and ruled over the
plant with an iron fist!  These regulations
have since then been tightened!

Of course if the U.S. plants are closed, horses will be subjected to
Mexican slaughter houses where one
doesn't even want to think of what happens down there, without any rules
that are enforced.

In an Utopian world  it would be wonderful IF humane groups would
combine their resources and perhaps have
a watch group that would be able to purchase sound, good horses directly
from the slaughter plant, and then
have a holding facility where one could go and purchase them.

By the way, the most cruel and inhumane practice seen in slaughter
plants are those that do kosher slaughter.
Picture, prime,  1800 lb. steers being lifted by  ONE leg, held there
for too long a time period to even think about,
waiting for the rabbi to cut their throats.  This practice is one image
that goes on daily all over the world.  Why
isn't there outrage over this??  They cannot be stunned because of
religious  reasons!