[RC] Let's get back to endurance -- - Beth Leggieri

At the risk of appearing callous, can we please return to the intent of this discussion group--endurance?

While it is true that rescues can be recycled into the endurance discipline, we are getting  off topic.  I suspect that moderated discussion groups exist that are devoted to the subjects of rescue, anti-slaughter, etc. where related topics can be addressed in more depth.

(A personal note that is not endurance related and yes, I'm not following my own advice by posting on the rescue topic:  Many thanks for the thoughtful perspective offered by those with the fortitude and backbone to continue their organized rescue organizations.  Having rescued four horses over the years, I know how much money and effort is required to recycle them--if possible--into situations appropriate for their age, training, and physical capabilities.  There's no greater satisfaction than being part of changing the stars for a horse--pulling them out of that downward cycle.  I also know the heartache of losing them after every possible effort was made to bring them back from the edge-- but also the satisfaction of knowing that it died clean, in a lovely covered paddock with a full belly, with its hooves trimmed, and its teeth having been floated for the first time in many years.  Rescue is not for the faint of heart who lack the resolve to make hard decisions.  It is also very expensive to conduct as a private individual, so if you have been burdened by the series of posts, I encourage us all to put our money where our burden is and support the good people's organizations who are willing to put themselves into that emotional tug-of-war on a daily basis.  It's an emotional and financial minefield.)

So -- maybe back to endurance?  I'd love to hear from those who are starting out new horses.  We all need encouragement to "hold our horses" and develop them slowly, even as our own "riding clocks" are ticking and those available riding years seem to be waning.  I was especially impressed by the article about Tulip in the March 'Endurance News' -- what a role model that horse is for our newbie horses!  I would especially like to know the game plans devised for the newbie horses out there in Ridecamp Land -- what kinds of rides, strategies, etc. are in place.  It is a joy to bring a new horse into this sport-- to see what it's made of and how we can better manage our decisions for its long-term soundness.

Let's ride!

Beth in Texas

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.