RE: [RC] Unwanted Horses - 1000's - Dolores Arste

This issue of people turning horses loose was discussed at a local ag event here in
Arkansas. The speaker blamed the people from NY and NH for passing the
slaughter bill. I'm from NY so that was a little hard to take.

IMHO, it's responsibility. If you have horses and you can't feed them then put them
down. Even if that means to feed the coyotes. Turning them loose is just as bad
as sending them off to slaughter. These horses are our responsibility, we bought,
bred or somehow acquired them. They are ours until death. If we sell to someone
keep in touch with them, find out how they are doing.

If we find that someone can no longer care for them, then help them even if that means
going to pick them up to euthanize them and feed them to the predators animals.

We were told in TX that there is no hay. I know that in Arkansas there is no hay.
So, if the grass doesn't come in then it will be harder to feed the horses. But, I
am lucky, I can afford to feed hay cubes if that's what I have to do, I can afford
the $8- bale of hay if it can be found.

Do the responsible thing. It is not responsible to send them to slaughter. If you
must go the slaughter route, take them your self. Do not let them suffer on the
way to their death.

At a local auction here, horses that could be ridden were selling for about $100-.
One couple got up and said that they had just built a new house and could not
afford the horses any longer. I wanted to judge them. I wished I could have told them
what they could do differently. But, it was too late. And, you can't save the
world. You can only do what you can do at this present moment.

To everything there is a season. During the last few centuries we killed off
so many predators. Now, the predators could be our friends. There is a balance
in nature.

Warmly,
Dolores