Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 8:20 AM
Subject: RE: [RC] horse slaughter vs vegitarianism

Do you consider the slaughter of cattle or pigs to be due to "uncontrolled breeding?"  Those animals are BRED to be slaughtered and eaten!  I drive through 20+ miles of cattle country on my way to work every day, and I can GUARANTEE you that the fate of each and every new calf born is to be either slaughtered and eaten while still young or to be used to raise more calves to be slaughtered and eaten.  Virtually every individual out there will eventually be slaughtered and eaten, unless first killed by predators or by disease or accident--outcomes which the ranchers work fervently to prevent, so as to ensure that the individuals will instead be slaughtered and eaten.

As for irresponsible ownership, thanks to Angie for posting the article that she did.  That is the realistic consequence of the anti-slaughter movement--more and more suffering on the part of the horses.  The anti-slaughter legislation is downright diabolical.

Heidi