Re: [RC] [RC] Do gooders ,dogs...........grrrrr fencing - tichenor06

We had dogs down the road from us too, no less than 10 at a time (oh, the 10 doesn't include puppies).  They have sinced moved (another story which involves the police) much to the delight of ALL neighbors.  They were always barking, roaming, chasing the cows, in the road, etc.  No leash, no fence of course.  When the owners got down on dogs (hit by car, dead, shot, parvo) they would go to pound or wherever and get more.  Puppies everywhere too.  Those dogs had to go out of their way, and a long way to get to our back fence, which was barbed wire(was for the cows), and there when we moved into our property.

We put graduated mesh field fencing (small at the bottom, larger to the top) everywhere except in the back.  I got sick of those dogs on my property.  2 or more dogs is a pack.  Heck we had cattle on our property, they loved our grass.  So we put mesh on our side, yes, over the barbed wire.  I hate barbed wire in the first place.  So I won't go there.  When we put up mesh fencing, we put it to the ground.  No holes.  The grass grows to cover any small holes.  If it doesn't, put another post and make the mesh follow the contour of the land.  But I also get out there and fill in any holes.  That is what rock is for, or poop, more mesh.  The fence is TIGHT TIGHT at the bottom.  I will be honest:  if ANY dog gets on our property, it will be shot.  I haven't shot one yet, but they did frequent my property - the horses told on them when I wasn't around, my dogs too, and I would see them.  There is no way that loose dog will remember where it came in, and leave the same way.  My horses will chase any dog that isn't a Manchester Terrier!  Which is how I know that a strange dog came on our property.  They have a racial bias against any other dogs.  Just a joke no flaming, but true.  They do patrol the fence when another dog is around, or walking the fence line.  I have seen them.

**Always remember**:

Good fences, make good neighbors.

Repeat that over, and over in your mind.  Because it is true.

Good fences, make good neighbors.

This goes for any livestock, dogstock, catstock, birdstock, childrenstock, ugly neighbor yards, etc.

Good fences, make good neighbors.

We learned that saying many many years ago.  You aren't fencing *in* your livestock, you are fencing others *out* of your property.  So, get fencing before it gets too hot.  Too expensive to fence correctly, then you are living out of your means.

Laura T in rural North Alabama
I am pro fencing!

Never miss an email again!
Yahoo! Toolbar