Re: [RC] Registration - Court Order - Kari Hanes

As the registry sees it, the auction house papers show proof of possesion not proof of ownership. We have contacted an attorney and are going to seek a "Quiet Title", we just need to figure out if we should file in our county or the previous owner's county where the animal abuse charges were filed. Hopefully this will be the end of a two year nightmare, either we get the papers or we don't, we'll just have to wait and see.

At the time of purchase this was strictly a rescue of a mistreated horse. I was not concerned about papers or anything else then - it was just impulse to save her from a bad situation. I didn't know if she was rideable or treatable, what I did know was that no animal deserved to be abused that way. She stayed in our "isolation" paddock for quite a while because we didn't know what she had been exposed to, if she would stay in the wire fenced pasture or if she could enter the mare's pasture without the strength and stamina for the pecking order.

We've bred and sold Arabs for years and have always considered the registration papers belong to the horse - not us. On a few occasions where we have sold a horse that was not registered, we always supplied the new owners with the foal/breeding forms so they were able to register the horse in the future if they wanted to. That's just the way we look at the situation - everyone's entitled to their own opinion on the subject.

We did change our minds about papers when we realized what her bloodlines were - this is a pure Polish, Pepton daughter, she was also a money earner on the track. It's just crazy to imagine someone dumping a mare of this caliber.

Thanks for all the input and support, I'll let you know how this all turns out.

Kari Hanes
Montalee Arabians
Holton, MI