[RC] Saddle Suggestions? (Long) - Barbara Reeves

Okay, so, my Abetta Endurance saddle is finally on its last leg after 5 years of hard riding and I am in the market for a new saddle!  My tax refund should be here in a couple weeks, and it's a doozy... lol  Now that I have more than a pitance to spend on a saddle, I am overwhelmed by the choices!  I NEED HELP!  I want to stay under $1,500 for a new or used saddle.

Here is my situation:

I am a larger/heavier rider, but I'm light in my seat (bouncing is bad for the horse, and just looks bad for me, LOL!!).  I ride in a 16.5-17" Western saddle, 19" English saddle.  My horse is an Appy with normal stock horse conformation, albiet a bit large (halter bred).  She takes QH bars western saddle, Medium-Wide English saddle (I have a stubben jumping saddle that is a 30.5cm tree that fits her well).  Her back is moderate length back, moderately sloped sides, with decent withers.  She has a very forward girth notch, so center fire rigging does not work for us.  I had the Abetta altered by a saddle repair person to put it at 7/8th position.

What I like:

I like a saddle that has a medium twist (the Abetta KILLS me without my Skito Rear Gear) and a FLAT seat in the middle.  I like a lot of room to move around in.  My Stubben has a sloped seat, so not so comfy for me posting...  I don't mind a high cantle and pommel, as long as the middle of the seat is relatively flat.  I ride with LONG stirrups in a classical Dressage-type position (legs well under me).  I need a horn so I can pony horses and have a place for a horn bag ;-).  I prefer a western style saddle for trails, something I might could barrel race in at local fun shows.

I am considering a Bob Marshall treeless saddle.  I like the concept and my mare is the right shape for one.  I understand about the weight distribution factor, especially for heavier riders.  I would use a laminated foam Skito pad with a ThinLine pad over the top for the best weight distribution possible.  And I am trying to lose some, lol.  I also know that the horn is just there for looks, but it will at least hold a horn bag for me!

What about flex tree western saddles?  I have seen some nice barrel saddles that come in 17" that are flex tree.  Anyone have any experience with flex trees?  My saddle repair guy loves his Circle Y flex, but he's not in the saddle more than 1-3 hours at a time.  I like to trail ride all day!

Tuckers?  I sat in one and liked it, and have friends that love theirs, but how do they last?  How are they for non-gaited horses?

Anyone have experience with Crest Ridge saddles? http://www.crestridgesaddlery.com  They look nice, and get rave reviews, but I don't know anyone personally that has one.

I'm open to suggestions!  I just need to stay in my price range .  If anyone has anything for sale, email me privately.

Oh, and here are pictures of my horses, so you can get an idea of what I'm trying to fit.  I know they are different, and I'll likely need two saddles.  The one I ride the most is the dark chestnut Appy mare (solid).  The bay gelding is an Anglo Arabian and is my fiance's.  He's getting a new flext tree Abetta for him.  My hiney should fit in it, lol.

A good recent side shot of my girl (my daughter holding the lead):

Thanks in advance for any help and insight you can give me!!

~Barbara
Little Rock, AR

"To be an equestrian in the classical sense is not just to be a rider. It is a position in life."
--Charles de Kunffy

Learn more about the fight against Horse Slaughter for Human Consumption in the USA.