Re: [RC] Conformation - Truman Prevatt

Bruce Weary DC wrote:
I just shop and hope to find horses that can do the work, and hold up over the long run. Sometimes, I think it's a turkeyshoot anyhoo. Dr Q
John Henry won horse of the year twice - five years old and 9 years old. Only TB to ever win it twice in non-consecutive years. How many TB's race past 3 much less till they or 10 or 11. He had 85 starts at the track and finished in the money 65 or 70 times. He the horse of the '80's. If the purses in the 80's were what they are today - no horse would ever come close to his winnings. As it is he is second on the all times winning list. He ran away with races, he came from behind, he even fell to his knees out of the gate of a grade 1 states hopped up and chased down the pack to win.

John Henry doesn't have great conformation or even good conformation. In his early days they ran him on turf because the dirt bothered him. When he was five he was beating everything on dirt and turf.

I've seen many an endurance horse that wasn't perfectly conformed. I've seen world class horses that required interference boots or else they probably couldn't finish a ride.

Don't get me wrong conformation is important - but the perfectly conformed horse can without a brain do something stupid and injure himself for life. The perfectly conformed horse can have a GI tract that won't hold up. Conformation is about the perfect "angles, levers and pulleys," bone density, feet size, etc. To do this sport it takes the whole package - and even then it can still be a crap shoot.

Truman

--

“Since when have we Americans been expected to bow submissively to authority and speak with awe and reverence to those who represent us?” Justice William O. Douglas