[RC] Conformation - Bruce Weary DC

Conformation has always fascinated me, at least as it relates to performance. Like so many singular factors about horses, (height, weight, breeding, foot size, muscle type, resting heart rate) it seems that it can either be a significant factor, or not. I tend to look a little beyond the conformation of a horse standing still in front of me, and prefer to see how it uses it's body parts to propel itself forward. If conformation is looked at as a dynamic concept, I think we have to look beyond the horse's standing posture, to his biomechanical efficiency when moving, how much of his skeletal system is indeed functioning optimally when he is moving, what his muscle conditioning and function are, and his general coordination. All of these factors combined, I think, will tell us more about what a horse is physically capable of, than just his standing posture. I am *not* an expert on any of these factors. I am, however, highly opinionated at times. Does that count? :>
We recently had to put down my wife's horse due to chronic lameness extending from a club foot deformity. He had nearly 3,000 endurance miles, and was the only horse in our barn to bring home a Tevis buckle. My daughter's horse, Big Nose George, was very cow-hocked, and had a nearly life threatening injury to his right hind foot early in life that left him permanently deformed. He broke his maiden the first time out at the track, and retired with 4,400 endurance miles. My wife's current hot shot gelding toes out in front, and is the fastest endurance horse I've ever had in my barn. I ride a foxtrotter that moves funny, but beats most of the Arabians she competes against. My other mare is a national top ten halter horse, and she interferes in the rear at a trot. With all these exceptions to the rule, I guess I just shop and hope to find horses that can do the work, and hold up over the long run. Sometimes, I think it's a turkeyshoot anyhoo. Dr Q