[RC] putting dog down - sherman

My neighbor’s mostly Lab mix just started getting wierd with me last week. He comes up to me wagging his tail looking happy, then when I pet him he started snarling and gave a snap when I stopped. I was careful not to pull away suddenly when the snarling started, and gave him a verbal reprimand when he snapped. I thought it was probably a one time incident, but next time, he did the same thing. There won’t be any more “next times” for me with this dog. I’ve known him for years, I feed him when the neighbors are away, and for months I’ve been going there twice a day to feed my horse in their pasture. The neighbors think maybe he is in pain, as he has a bad hip even though he’s only around 5 or 6,  and their other dog has been playing rough with him lately. Luckily, there is a respected “invisible fence” that he won’t cross so I can still safely tend to my horse. BTW, it was a Lab that had attacked my other neighbor’s horse & put my neighbor in the hospital.

I knew a GS trainer 25 years ago who told me that the GSs were known for “turning” at around 7 or 8 yrs old. It’s nothing new.

Kathy

Susan wrote:
more hard-to-handle labs in the practice than we do bad GSDs, but it's hard to convince a lab owner that his dog needs to shape up.