Re: [RC] Progress - Truman Prevatt

Bruce Weary wrote:
Hi Truman--
I can't really think of anything I do in endurance riding that is based directly on quantitative data. Not saddle selection, electrolyte use, feed type or amount, ride speed, shoeing technique, equitation, vet check strategy, tailing, amount of walking/trotting/cantering..............not a thing. It's pretty much all based on empirical experience. In the world of medicine, or in this case, veterinary science, it's common to make decisions and set policy on inductive and deductive reasoning based on empirical evidence. Rarely do we get to make sweeping decisions based on quantitative data. And when we do, things can still go very badly. Case in point, Vioxx. In fact, it's often empirical observations that direct where research should be heading.
Vioxx is a good case in point. The scientific method did work - it worked very well. Depending out who you believe the evidence was there to raise significant questions about Vioxx from the original clinical trials but they were ignored. When the data from the use of Vioxx by the general population was analyzed the data pointed to the problem. However, it appears that economic concerns overwhelmed scientific concerns and Vioxx was approved. Vioxx is not the only example of this issue and this has caused a reorg in the FDA.

The problem I see with the way the AERC makes such rules is very simple. The AERC has at it's disposal a wonderful lab - endurance rides. There are 20,000 starts a year. That is a significant data set. The AERC has the ability to collect sufficient data to determine the hypothesis that should be tested and sufficient data sets to design experiments - by simply collecting the appropriate data at rides - to test these hypothesis. Hell, we don't even report the distance between vet checks - although there is a field in the database for such data. Wouldn't it be nice to correlate trail segment length with pull rates or treat rates after those segment?

"Empirical evidence" is good for developing a theory to test - in is not good for making policy. The graveyards of science are filled with dead theories based on theories that we know today are absurd but were based on someone's empirical evidence. Instead of using "empirical evidence" to set policy - use it to design hypothesis that can be tested by collecting data at AERC rides. It is not that empirical evidence is bad or good or indifferent - it is only the first step in a chain that should be followed to make policy.

The other problem with empirical evidence is - "everybody has their own." Why is it the SE runs rides just find and have been doing it for years with a 64 pulse - but other regions can't seem to run rides other than 60? There are great vets in the SE who seem to think 64 is just fine and there are good vets other places who think 60 is better - so whose empirical evidence do you believe? I say neither. We have time to collect sufficient data at our rides to address the question before policy is made.

Truman

--

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil