Re: [RC] 60, 64 pulse - Truman Prevatt

That was not the intent of the question. We actually did ask that question once where we had someone at the out timer that put a hand held HRM on the horses when they came up to the time to leave. They recorded the pulse and the in pulse time pulse. A 52 was the highest we got on a horse going back out. Considering the horse was saddled and the rider mounted ready to go - none of the vets saw that as abnormal. The volunteer finally got tired and had to go but we had about

I would much rather see a hold in the middle of the ride long enough to have an "exit CRI" to catch horses that were not recovering than relying on a lower pulse when the horse vets through - which is usually at the beginning at least in most rides I've done. I just don't see a simple lowering of the pulse criteria having much merit. I sure see an exit CRI at a critical point a much smarter choice.

Truman

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Truman, your "survey" was not asking the right question. What one WANTS to see is that the horses continue to recover, not just to the pulse criterion, but to a clinical normal. When we ran rides at 64, and did exit pulses, there were enough horses that were STILL at 60-64 at the end of the hold to be a cause for concern. When we run rides at 60, we see more of them recovering on down into the low 50s or lower. THAT is the difference that we wanted to see--that the recovery would continue toward clinical normal, instead of to some baseline fatigue level.
Heidi

    We did a little informal survey at a ride some time back. The
    criteria
    was 64. We noted how many horses were actually over 60 when they
    pulsed
    in. What seems to happen is riders will come in when the horse
    hits 64
    or lower but by the time they get in and the pulse is taken - the
    horse
    is at 60 or below. There only a hand full of horses that were
    between 60
    and 64 for all checks. So that's a hand full over about 300 pulses
    that
    day. At least on that day it didn't matter.

--

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil