Re: [RC] DQ if horse needs treatment within an hour of finishing. - Sisu West Ranch

It is an iteresting difference between AERC and UMECRA on this issue. I have argued the possible hiding of sick horses issue at UMECRA meetings.

The UMECRA rule has been, for a very long time, that if a horse is treated before leaving the ridecamp it is DQ'd. (Yes, even the next day, as many horses do Endurance on Sat and stay while a different horse does a CTR on Sunday.)

As things stood when I left the Midwest if the RM is on the ball, or the rider insists (with protest if necessary) it is possible to have an AERC completion and a UMECRA pull for the same horse on the same ride. I also know of a case where a horse was DQ'd AERC because of the UMECRA rule and the rider did not insist on the AERC completion.

For many years, especially at cold rides, a number of vets allowed the horse be presented for locomotion and pulse completion but would not grant final approvial until the one hour mark, just to prevent arguments about UMECRA vs. AERC completion.

In the past there have been, valid arguments, made on both sides about this practice. It doesn't bother me either way, I just need to know how a given ride is being run.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser 2994 Mittower Road Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640

ranch(at)sisuwest(dot)us