Re: [RC] re: ROC 1987-musings - Truman Prevatt

Cindy,

Look at all the 8 hour 100's back in the old days. The FEI didn't have anything to do this. The FEI has a lot of issues but they didn't define speed in 100 mile rides - the were there long before FEI endurance started. Either that or these early 100's were short.

As far as LD - the AERC LD program is one of the best things that has happened. The riders that want to do LD's for a career take it seriously and 25 miles at 10 mph is hell of a lot easier on a horse than 50 at 13 mph or 100 at 12 mph. The LD also serves as an entry point for new riders and the education committee under Dinah Rojek has done a wonderful job developing an education program for these riders.

Truman

Cindy Collins wrote:
Jim, I know there are a few horror stories out there from the old days, but frankly, I see the same people today killing horses or overriding them that did it 20 years ago. Plus, the whole FEI/International scene has put speed as the most important factor and longevity as the least important factor. Look at the arguments about "how few miles" it takes to qualify for our championships. Of course, there are exceptions within the international community, but overall I don't see a lot of progress. Everyone used to talk about how electrolytes have changed horses lives for the better...well, I think there's some serious discussion going on now about the pros and cons of that. Overuse of electrolytes may be killing as many horses as it's helped. 25 mile rides used to be considered training rides or novice rides with NO points or placing or awards attached. Same thing there...of course some people in the old days overrode their horses in 25 milers...but they didn't get rewarded for it with points and placings. Let's face it, we're not going to all agree on this. I do believe, btw, that sound at a trot for completion has been a positive change. But that's about it.

Cindy Collins c_collins@xxxxxxx <mailto:c_collins@xxxxxxx>

--

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil